Wednesday, November 7, 2007

The Price You Pay for Beauty

Recently, I think I actually have been taking crazy pills. And ugly pills. Okay, slight exaggeration, but it feels like it.

I started taking a new medication that has had some pretty gnarly (yes, I said gnarly) side affects. My favorites have been weight gain, acne, and some seriously crazy emotions.

I had a different prescription before that cost twice as much, but without the side affects. The big problem was that our overpriced insurance didn't cover it, and shelling out $55 a month was starting to hurt too much on our very tight budget. So, I switched to a cheaper version, and felt my clothes get tighter, instead of our budget. Then my face started exploding.

I began to ask myself, "What is the price for beauty? How much am I willing to pay, and can I justify it? Can I really pay twice as much to not feel ugly?" It's an interesting question, really.


But now, as my emotions have started spinning, I'm beginning to realize I have to do something! I can't be crazy, on top of everything else! I've tried calling my doctor, but the answering service in the ginormous corporation they call a medical center keeps disconnecting me before I can leave a message.

However, I found a breakthrough! I turned to my friend, Google, today, looking for a generic brand of my previous non-crazy-making medication. I discovered that after a long legal battle over the patent, a generic brand of my medication was released to the public October, 2007! Hallelujah!!!

I imagine it will take some time to get the old medication (and it's effects) out of my system (and off my hips), but at least there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

No comments: