Friday, November 30, 2007

The Most Wonderful Night of the Year

If someone were to ask me, "What is your favorite day of the year?", I would have to say it's the day that we decorate the Christmas tree. Now, no one has ever asked me my favorite day of the year, but I'm telling you, none the less.

We weren't sure if we would be able to get a tree this year-- money has been tight, and we're really only in town for 3 weeks-- but on Wednesday night, Chris caved, and we drove off to Home Depot to get the smallest tree they had.

As luck would have it, every tree in the lot was at least 6 feet tall, except for two little 2-footers-- one being a sad excuse for the Charlie Brown tree, and the other being a fat, happy looking dwarf of a tree. $15 later, we were setting up our squatty new friend on a chest (to make it look a little more stately) in front of the window.

Now, usually decorating the tree is a festive occasion, complete with Christmas carols, eggnog (or hot chocolate), and the happiest Christine you've ever seen. But it was 10pm by the time we made it home, Chris was sick & cranky, and I was getting sleepy. What is usually the highlight of my year turned into a frazzled, moody Christine, throwing the last decorations on at 6:45 Thursday evening before our Small Group came over at 7. Needless to say, it wasn't the highlight of my year.

But, despite all the funk in getting it set up, we have a lovely, fat, dwarf tree sitting in our living room now, giving off it's wonderful pine smell, and looking just as a Christmas tree should look: white lights, coordinating silver ornaments, and a pretty silver garland wrapping around it. And if you make fun of the giant star sitting on top-- which is at least 1/3 the size of the entire tree-- I'll throw a candy cane at you.

The bottom line: it's crisp and cold outside, I'm making up Christmas wish-lists & listening to The Rat Pack Christmas Carols, and despite the fact that we're both sick, sniffly & worn out, I am one happy girl.

No comments: