Saturday, February 9, 2008

I'm Going to Make You a Meatball You Can't Refuse

Last night was a good night. Last night I was able to do several things I haven't been able to do much since I've gotten sick: cook a big meal, enjoy a big meal, and unplug & relax with Chris.

Picture Christine in her [tiny] kitchen, wearing a red apron, making spaghetti & meatballs, singing along to Dean Martin and drinking
wine. (When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's amore!)

What was the occasion? We were watching The Godfather for the first time-- and I have to say, with the wine and the amazing spaghetti & meatballs and all, it was a really enjoyable experience (let me know if you would like the recipe for the best spaghetti & meatballs ever!)

I feel like I am truly an American, now that I have experienced this chunk of culture I've been missing out on. I have to say, I laughed my head off at the horse head scene (I'm sure it was shocking in it's time, but there have been so many spoofs on it, it's hard to take it seriously), and I had no idea how many famous (and incredibly young!) actors were in it (Diane Keaton was in The Godfather? So out of place! How did she go from that to The First Wives' Club?)


Our enjoyable evening was followed by an even more enjoyable morning. We woke up early to
take Gavin to his annual vaccination, and treated him (and ourselves) afterwards by going to Fort Funston. (Gavin was so wonderful with the vet-- all he did was pee on Chris' leg in fear when we had to pin him down for a blood test. But I understand-- I come close to wetting myself when I get blood drawn, too)

Now, Fort Funston is everything it's name implies-- it's this rustic stretch of coastline (that was once a military base) with miles of sand dunes, and adventure upon adventure for any puppy. You can wander along a lovely path through the dunes & plantlife, or you can hike down to the beach, watching happy dogs explore, sniff & play.

It was an amazing day-- the first I can remember since returning to San Francisco where I wasn't wearing a jacket, a scarf or mittens. It was warm and sunny, the waves were huge and the wind kicked up a nice spray from the water. I can't tell you how therapeutic sunshine is!

Now Gavin is happily napping, and I am preparing to join him (in my own bed-- we don't actually sleep with the dog) to recover from my big outing (the first time in a while I have been away from my bed for so long!). There's something much more acceptable about being sick in bed when you've just spent the morning on a sunny beach =)

5 comments:

chris, from the road said...

now that you made the meatballs, i guess i'm in your debt.

keokex said...

i do want that recipe.

Commander Funston, because I know you are curious, was the general who brought the army into SF during the Great Eartquake - dubbed the Great Fire for PR reasons - to put down the riots and looting. He was not 'fun' but at least he left a good park.

Unknown said...

What a great combination, Spagetti, meatballs, and the Godfather. How Italian can you get?

Charlie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Charlie said...

welcome to the "I've seen the Godfather" club. (I can say that since I just joined).

p.s. i'll take that recipe too!