Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Deadly Marula Fruit

[I wrote this a few days ago and forgot to post it!]
For Christmas every year, Chris receives some form of fancy liquor from my family. I'm not sure what that says about my family, or about what my family thinks of my husband, but he's happy about the tradition, none the less. This year, Chris got his usual (and much appreciated) overly-generous bottle of Patron from my brother, as well as a new type of liquor than none of us had ever heard of, but looked interesting: Amarula.

It turns out that Amarula comes from the fruit of a marula tree-- a very special kind of African fruit that falls to the ground every summer, ferments, and gets all those noble safari animals drunk out of their minds. Before trying Amarula for the first time last night (it was really good-- kind of like Bailey's Irish Cream, but with a slight citrus taste), we found this video of drunken African animals. My favorites are the ostrich that looks like a drunken sorority girl in heels and the monkey hangover the next morning. Enjoy.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Which animal does Chris remind us of??? Hey, I forgot to give you the cranberry-infused vodka!
Mom

Anonymous said...

Oh yea Amarula is Gooood! i kno its from africa, but i wonder does Trader Joes have it?!?!lol