Wednesday, March 5, 2008

My Cup Runneth Over

In the Bible, the phrase "My cup runneth over" sounds so nice and lovely & spiritual. In real life, everyday terms, it sounds like I spilled my coffee.

Life, right now, feels a little like both.

We are insanely busy. I realize that sometimes people talk about how busy they are in a way that is close to bragging-- as though busyness implies worth or importance. I am not one of those people. I love free time, sleeping in, reading books on the couch, etc, etc. That it not to say that I am unhappy (that's where the "cup runneth over" part comes in), just to say that sometimes, when you have too many good things in your cup, you spill your drink.

I have been "spilling" in little drips & messes all over the Bay Area lately-- trying to squeeze in far too many activities & not accounting for travel time, or my capacity for human interaction. Although life is full to the point of spilling, my heart also feels full to overflowing sometimes, and that is a good thing.

Sadly, though, I am aware that I cannot keep up this pace for long before I end up throwing the cup against the wall. I need to learn what to cut out, what to organize more efficiently, and how to take deep breaths and keep pushing through.

Somehow, it's been working so far.

No comments: