Sunday, October 7, 2007

Elote: What Not to Eat on a First Date

For only $2 last night, I not only had an amazing cultural experience, but I also discovered the Grand Champion of Things Not to Order on a First Date.

Chris & I got home around 8pm last night from a fun afternoon on a friend's rooftop, watching the Blue Angels (I actually ducked a few time, they got so close!). We were tired & hungry, and didn't feel like cooking, so we ventured out to Taqueria Vallarta.

Just to give you a little background, Taqueria Vallarta is a little taco shack in our neighborhood that sells brain, cheek, hip, tongue (and of course, chicken & carne asada) tacos until about 2am. They were shut down for almost a year for... drum roll please... excessive cockroaches and rats (among other things--but at that point, do you really need other things??). Usually, Chris only goes to Taqueria Vallarta when I'm not around 'cause greasy roach tacos aren't my all-time favorite.

For some reason, though, I was feeling adventurous, and I ordered Elote. Elote, it turns out, it a whole ear of corn, slathered in mayonnaise, rolled in crumbled Mexican cheese, and doused with chili powder. Like I said, I was feeling adventurous.

As luck would have it, it was amazing! The only thing, though, is that you should never, ever eat it around anyone who is not extremely devoted to you (or blind), because I literally had cheese and chili powder from the tip of my nose to my chin. My lips burned for at least 15 minutes after I had finished it, and I had to hold a wet towel against them to put out the flames.

But, after surviving almost 24 hours since I ate at the scary taqueria, and after the swelling in my lips has gone down, I would definitely say that I would order it again. Just not on a first date.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.