Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Welcome, Autumn!

There is something that sends a thrill up my spine when I see pumpkins at the grocery store, and I can fill little bowls around the house with candy corn, and Starbucks has pumpkin spiced lattes again (of course, the latter happens in like August, but I choose to ignore it until the appropriate time).

Autumn is a funny thing in San Francisco because some of the best sunny, warm weather occurs during the months of September and October. Winter comes in July (as Mark Twain so aptly noted), summer in October, and then I guess it jumps straight into winter and spring.

But today was crisp and chilly, and actually felt like autumn. I have my indian corn and
mini-pumpkins and minimal Halloween decorations sitting out, and it brings me joy. It's not just that I love autumn & Halloween (I do), but that it marks the beginning of a whole season of joy & wonder & my favorite high-calorie foods. Thanksgiving is just around the corner, and the day after Thanksgiving marks the official start of Christmas. Oh, it's a glorious thing.

Today, I welcomed in autumn with a pumpkin smoothie. Last year, I
must have made 10 failed pumpkin smoothies, but today, I found a great recipe... which I will share with you now for your harvest pleasure:
  • 15oz. can pureed pumpkin (chilled)
  • 12oz. can evaporated milk (chilled) [I used regular milk-- didn't have evaporated]
  • 1 1/2 cup orange juice
  • 1 small sliced banana (frozen) [it really helps to peel & slice the banana before freezing it-- I learned that the hard way!]
  • 1/3 cup brown sugar
  • ice
  • 2 teaspoons cinnamon [I added allspice & nutmeg, too]
Blend
I played around a little with the measurements & wasn't super exact. The whole orange juice & banana thing sounds weird, but it actually works. And did you know that 1/2 cup of pureed pumpkin has 300% of your daily dosage of Vitamin A?? That's a pretty healthy breakfast =)

No comments: