Thursday, October 25, 2007

Yoda Ears

A funny thing happens to our dog when he's really worn out: his ears go from perky & expressive to Yoda ears.

I'll explain. When we took him camping a few months ago, he spent most of the time in the lake, retrieving an enormous log that probably weighed 80 pounds. It was incredible. He just kept going until he almost drowned, and even then, he wouldn't let go of the dumb log. When he was seriously close to death,
came out of the water each time with Yoda ears-- all droopy, like they were sliding sideways off his head.

On Monday, we discovered this deserted patch of beach south of Daly City, and spent the evening throwing a eucalyptus branch into the waves for Gavin to bring back. He got pummeled by a few waves, and each time, the Yoda ears came back. Let me tell you, he's not a cute dog when he's all wet with Yoda ears.

I tell you all of this because lately I feel like I've had Yoda ears-- not literally (that would be seriously strange), but in my heart, and also in the worn out haggard look I've noticed in the mirror. I know I'm not actually drowning, and I know that I am going to be okay, but I've decided that I'm taking on a new expression to describe how I feel: Yoda ears.

I invite you to take on the term as you see fit =)

No comments: