Monday, August 20, 2007

East of Eden



A friend was recently telling me about how she and her husband decided that they spend too much time in front of the television. They started playing card games together, putting together puzzles, and reading books out loud together.
That last one sounded great to me, and for the last several weeks, Chris & I have promised ourselves that we would take one night a week to read a book together. We had thought we would read a book on marriage, or a good spiritual book, but tonight at dinner, East of Eden caught my eye on the book shelf.

Now, East of Eden is (besides the Bible, of course) the best book I have ever read (and re-read, and re-re-read). Our staff team got me a first edition copy for my birthday, and this lovely green book was staring at me from the bookshelf, almost audibly asking to be read.

So Chris & I spent the evening on the couch, while I read out loud from East of Eden. I thought we would take turns, but once I started reading, I didn't want to stop. It was therapeutic. There is something so deep and rich about this book, and I have read it so many times that it was like sharing a part of my soul, and it felt so good.

Growing up, both my mom & my dad would read out loud to me. Even through high school, my parents and I would read books together, and it was almost a sacred time together. It was a beautiful thing tonight to get to share that with Chris, and let him be a part of my world in that way. I can't believe we've never thought of it before...

No comments: